Monday, May 3, 2010

Dating Vintage Mail Order Patterns

And no, this has nothing to do with taking your pattern stash to Red Lobster...



Mail order patterns are a too often overlooked treasure trove, not just for their adorable designs but the social history and connection to the past that comes from knowing a little bit more than usual about the original seamstress. The bulk of ephemera and enclosures I’ve found stuffed in pattern envelopes have been from mail order patterns.



Like a ginger teenager, they’re harder to date...

Mail order patterns are seldom (I’m not quite brave enough to say “never”) dated, and they had a much longer life than the patterns we’re used to seeing in the sewing stores, so it can be tricky to pin down a date range. But, thanks to their mailing envelopes and the hard work and enthusiasm of philatelists (that’s postal boffins, to you and I) we can narrow down the dating possibilities quite a bit. Which is something my hairdresser did for me for most of my teenage years…

Read the full article and dating guide over at ZipZapKap.com




For the best in accurately dated vintage sewing patterns, see ZipZapKap on etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment